The First Quarter Moon is the first primary Moon Phase that follows the New Moon. It represents a turning point in the monthly cycle. This stage is followed by a gradual crescendo to the maximum strength Full Moon in all its glory.
The First Quarter Moon: A Checking In Point
Arriving about a week from the New or Dark Moon, the First Quarter Moon provides data to sort through, often in the form of obstacles. You may find yourself at a landmark moment. The sharp edge of this lunar phase can be dramatic or subtle, depending on what you’re dealing with personally during a given cycle.
The turning point of the First Quarter Moon is part of an immediate, monthly agenda and experience. The Moon is closest to us, physically and psychically, and is associated with our ever-fluctuating emotional life. The Moon rules our feelings, habits, unconscious responses, and moods.
The direction you’re heading in is becoming more or less evident. At this salient point, your navigation and understanding of the road ahead is not fully formed but is starting to become more clear. There may be an “aha” moment or newfound grasp on your current situation.
If you’re still feeling in the dark, it would be prudent to spend some time reflecting on the past week. Pay attention to what activities you’ve been engaged in, as well as (and especially) to how you’ve been feeling. Writing in a journal regularly can help you keep track.
It can be helpful to look at specific events that are occurring at this time that are symbolic of the entire cycle that you’re in. Reflecting on this point can give you more insight on what happened on the New Moon, as well as what to expect more development around in the next week or two.
Development in the Form of Crisis
One common keyword for the First Quarter Moon is crisis. An emotional crisis can be kicked off by a minor or a major event, or series of compounding events.
There is no use in comparing crises to measure which one is better or which one is worse. To the person experiencing a crisis, despite the origin story, a crisis is a crisis. In other words, it is a subjective experience, and very lunar in nature.
Moving through a crisis, one can reclaim their personal power through the knowledge that they gain in the encounter. Validating and normalizing common emotional reactions — in short, increasing awareness — has a profound effect on a person’s ability to heal and be resilient in the face of adversity.
Decision Making and Increased Awareness
The First Quarter Moon can present an emotional crisis; sometimes this crisis is an important decision. The gift of the crisis is the knowledge that you attain, even though in the moment it may be a big feeling of “I really don’t know!”
As you move through challenges and stepping stones, you gain more and more information about your current trajectory. This can help you make informed decisions and plan.
Tap into your feeling nature and gut instinct to help you make these decisions. Trust your intuitive awareness of the path you’re walking.
The First Quarter Moon in Tarot: The Empress
The Empress best expresses the energy of the First Quarter Moon because she brings development and fruition to our plans. Representing the planet Venus, she is an archetypal mother of fertility, creativity, and growth.
How to Work with the First Quarter Moon
This is a great opportunity to check in with your progress on goals. How are you doing with time management and balancing different aspects of your life? Is there anything that you’ve been neglecting?
Take notice now and chart a course toward the Full Moon.
First Quarter Moon Activities
- Journaling: Compare what came up for you on the New Moon with what has developed in the past week. How is where you are now symbolic of where you started?
- Review goals and adjust expectations
- Clean house or office to maximize efficiency going forward
- Look to the signs of the New and First Quarter Moon for hints of what needs attention now or what’s going on internally
- Take a time-out and recharge before going full-steam ahead
- Plan for what you want to bring into fruition at the Full Moon
- Recognize accomplishments and rites of passage
- Perform divinations to gather information
First Quarter Moon Tarot Spread
- Lunar Theme: This card represents the overall theme of the current lunar cycle. This is what the New Moon seeded in your life.
- Quarter Moon State: your current challenges.
- Unconscious Forces: What remains undeveloped or hidden; unconscious forces.
- The Future: What the Full Moon will illuminate.
- 1st Lesson of the Quarter Moon
- 2nd Lesson of the Quarter Moon
- 3rd Lesson of the Quarter Moon
- Your Guiding Light: the way forward, a blessing for the future.